THE 8 LIMBS OF YOGA
Also known as Ashtanga (Sanskrit ashta = eight, anga – limb) , this list of eight Yoga practices create a path toward mastery over body and an awareness of Self while progressing along the path.
Moral codes / Ethical standards
- Ahimsa Nonviolence: The opposite of violence (himsa), it is advised to avoid causing injury or harm through actions, words or thoughts.
- Satya Truthfulness: To be truthful in actions, words and thoughts.
- Asteya Nonstealing: To neither steal nor have the intention to steal through actions, words or thoughts.
- Brahmacharya Sexual Restraint:
- Aparigraha Noncovetousness: Keeping the desire for possessions to what is necessary or important. Self-restraint. Charity.
Self-discipline / Behaviors
- Saucha Cleanliness:
- Samtosa Contentment:
- Tapas Austerity:
- Svadhyaya Self-study:
- Isvara Pranidhana Self-surrender: